Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Time Out

Yesterday I organized the material that grew from Novel Boot Camp, put the drafts in a more or less logical order, and began reading them consecutively to see if they will really fit. Then I put the notebook aside, went out to lunch and then to visit family. I don't sit here 24 hours a day. I sleep some of those hours, keep my life going, stare out the window--well, that means I am here at the desk. Today I plan not to touch the novel draft at all. I've lived with it daily for the past two weeks and we both need a break, what in teaching circles is called incubation. Let the subconscious chew on it for a while. This does not mean I will sit on the porch eating chocolate all day. All may be the operative word there. A little porch time and chocolate might urge my sub-conscious on to greater glory. Or at least one little idea. Today will be a business day. I have in front of me the submission info for another agent recommended by the last one, so I'll get to cross that query off my list; and I'll survey my short fiction and see what needs to go out again. Some day I might have enough stories for a book, but it would be good to see some of that work in print first. Okay, kids, I'm off to polish my query and get it sent.

No comments: