Sunday, November 16, 2008

Read This

E. Annie Proulx's The Shipping News: set mostly in Newfoundland, full of quirky, delicious language and equally quirky characters. In the first part of the book I wanted to smack the protagonist because he was sooooo passive, but we both got over that. Winner of a National Book Award. One of those that I kept hearing about and finally grabbed, didn't put it down till the last page turned.

True Green @ Work, by Kim McKay and Jenny Bonnin with Tim Wallace: A National Geographic product subtitled "100 ways you can make the environment your business." Concise advice on working green, features companies that are significantly committed to eco-responsibility, and an extensive list of resources. I'll be on the hunt for their previous book, True Green, 100 Everyday Ways You Can Contribute to a Healthier Planet.

The new version of Fritof Capra's The Tao of Physics. This book has long been on my list of life changers, and the revised version does not disappoint. A deep look at the correspondences between Eastern thought and modern physics. Don't panic, you don't have to know all those mysterious formulae. In the same genre, look for Murray Gell-Mann's The Quark and the Jaguar: Adventures in the Simple and Complex.

You can see why I'm late with this blog! There's a breeze making diamonds on the duck pond, the dog is asleep in a patch of sun on the carpet, and I have all these great books winking and beckoning. Not to mention a handlful of poetry essays to edit and jillions of other tasks large and small. You get the idea. Excuse me, I'm just going for one more chapter, then I'll get down to work, really, I will, promise.

No comments: